As you are aware QS is an organization that quantifies the performance of universities across the world and based upon certain categories QS ranks the universities in each category. Of course, on overall score universities are globally ranked as well.
Please find the QS rankings of universities for 2021 in the link below:
The first 10 universities with the highest ranking as per QS 2021 results are:
- MIT (USA)
- Stanford University (USA)
- Harvard University (USA)
- Caltech (USA)
- Oxford University (UK)
- ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
- Cambridge University (UK)
- Imperial College (UK)
- University of Chicago (USA)
- UCL (UK)
As it can be seen, except for ETH all of the top 10 universities are either in USA or UK and the top 4universities in the world are in the United States.
So, some questions come to mind:
- Where are the top French and German Universities that have contributed to science and even to Nobel Laureates over the decades? Why is there not a single French or German University. The reason cant be funding as many are well funded and certainly if ETH could make it, then these French Universities and German Universities should also make it in top 10 or at least top 20.
- Where are the prestigious Indian Universities like IITs?
- Where are the prestigious Canadian Universities?
While it can be debated as to whether QS Rankings accurately reflect the ranking or standing of each university globally, it does show a trend as to the qualities needed to be a worldwide known university.